Wednesday, March 27, 2013

On The Basking Log



Making my way slowly down the canals via kayak, I spotted this basking Florida cooter ahead in the distance. I ceased paddling, and allowed myself to drift for the most part, only occasionally dipping the paddle in to keep myself straight, for the wind was coming somewhat crosswise from behind. Slowly I gained on him, taking pictures as I floated nearer. Finally, I came too close; really, it was the wind that did me in, as it was making my boat pivot. I tried to stop it with a very slow paddle, but it was too much for this turtle, and he dove at last for cover.

I'd never seen a turtle laying as he was, with his legs kicked out behind him. I am sure, however, that this is the local basking log, as there are very few other such logs in that canal; only one, actually, and for much of the day it is shaded, being mostly under the trees on the south bank.

2 comments:

  1. I've never seen one doing that, either. I wonder if it was just stretching its legs very, very slowly?

    You've gotta show us more of those canals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nah, no movement, he was just chillin' there all static-like.

      And, I will

      Delete